Finding the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair is like finding the right dress for prom – you might have to go through a lot of them and in some cases hundreds of them before you find just the right one. But when you do find the right one, it's worth it.
But somehow haircare is just not taken as seriously as skincare, which is why it becomes difficult to find the right shampoo. Don’t worry we at Kaye’s Beauty Book are here to help you find the right shampoo so that you don’t have to go through hundreds of them.
How to find the best shampoo for your hair type?
With endless options of hair care products, you don’t know where to start. First and more importantly you need to identify your hair type, then look for products for your hair type. Here are some common terms that you can look for on the product packaging.
· For Dry Hair: Look for ‘moisturizing’, ‘hydrating’, ‘nourishing’, ‘replenishing’ or ‘softening’. These formulations are made with a high percentage of conditioning ingredients to coat hair strands to make them silkier and smoother.
· For Thin/Flat Hair: Look for ‘volumizing’, ‘thickening’ and ‘fullness’.
· For Color-treated Hair: Look for ‘color protection’, ‘fade protection’, ‘color care’, or ‘color safe’. These products have lesser ratios of cleansers and more conditioners to prevent color loss.
· For Damaged Hair: Shop for ‘strengthening’, ‘repair’, ‘damage repair’, ‘fortifying’, ‘renewing’ or ‘anti-breakage’. These products include ingredients which replenish and protect hair strands that are damaged due to chemical treatment (like hair coloring), heat (from hair straighteners, hair dryers and other heating tools), or mechanical damage (from brushing).
· For Frizzy hair: Look for ‘smoothing’, ‘polishing’, ‘frizz control’, ‘frizz protection’ or ‘anti-frizz’. In this case your hair needs good conditioning in both shampoo and conditioner products that infuse moisturization to smooth the hair’s surface and preventing frizz.
So, we have made your search all the easier by listing some of our favorites below and feel free to use ‘washing my hair’ to get out of any annoying problem.
For Dry Hair
Mororoccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo
This shampoo is a favorite among many users. The reviews for this product also talk about how it helps turn dry, frizzy hair smooth. In fact, most hair products by this brand are loved with people swearing by the results they get.
For Thin/ Flat Hair
Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Volumizing Shampoo
Briogeo Blosson & Bloom Volumizing Shampoo contains Ginseng & Biotin, which helps the hair grow. What’s more it smells amazing, and it is sulfate-free, silicon free- & paraben-free.
For Colored Hair
Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo
Women swear by this shampoo for colored hair, it is a life saver and makes you love your colored hair even more. Your hair looks good and the color stays intact, it doesn’t look washed out. Many users simply love this product. A must buy for colored hair people.
For Damaged Hair
OGX Renewing Argan Oil Shampoo
A lot of hair products in the market claim to help dry damaged hair but do not delivery on this claim. But OGX Renewing Aragn Oil Shampoo has the goodness of Argan Oil which helps replenish hair shafts to give you smooth looking hair. Both the shampoo and conditioner keep your hair hydrated and shiny and let’s not forget the smell.
For Frizzy Hair
Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo is a great product, what’s more they contain castor oil which is amazing for your hair. It makes it softer & smoother. Castor oil itself is a great nutrient for hair so that's one of the reasons we give this product a thumbs up.
For Going Plastic Free
HiBar Volumize Solid Shampoo and Conditioner
Shampoo bars are either way too waxy, too drying or made your hair frizzy. But with Hibar the formulation is one of the best with one wash you can expect your hair to look smooth & soft. In terms of the product performance, it is still not as good as a liquid shampoo but hey at least it doesn’t make your hair look like a dried branch. So, I would give this product a thumbs up for giving you manageable clean hair. Plus, its easy to carry since its solid, so no worrying about it spilling in your suitcase. This is an excellent product for people with fine hair, defiantly makes your hair smoother and softer as compared to liquid shampoos.
Remember it is important to also buy the matching conditioner with the shampoo. Shampoos and conditioners are usually developed to work best in pairs to give you maximum benefit. Manufacturers optimize ingredients in shampoos and conditioners to maximize benefits, but you can get the full benefit only when you use both. Mixing brands and products may produce fewer effective results and can lead to over or under-conditioning.
Kaye's Beauty Book is here to help you choose better products that suit your skin, hair and lifestyle. All of the products mentioned are carefully researched and selected to ensure that the most credible information comes to you. If you do buy a product from one of our links, Kaye's Beauty Book may earn a commission.
II DISCLAIMER: Every skin is different, not everything works for everybody. I recommend you test the product before completely using any new product. II